Wednesday, 17 August 2011

The Devil's Double






I went to see The Devil's Double tonight and I've got to say even if I'd hated it, I'd probably still have been making this post because of THAT BLOODY POSTER, which is either the most amazing or the tackiest thing I've ever seen in my life (not that those two things are mutually exclusive or anything). I can't stop looking at it, think I might get a life-size version painted on my bedroom wall in the new house. I'm sure the landlord will be fine with it.

But anyway, I LOVED IT. The film is based on true events - the life of Latif Yahia, the body double of Saddam Hussein's son Uday - but it's quite heavily fictionalised and cartoonish, and probably best thought of as a gangster movie rather than a 'real story'. Dominic Cooper is SO GOOD as both Uday and Latif, and also absurdly attractive (probably not really the point, in fact pretty detrimental to the point... but he is, I think it's the prosthetic nose, he should keep it on). I was also very excited by the fact that a lot of it was filmed in Malta, therefore I spent much of the film jumping around in my seat saying/thinking I've been there! I've walked down that street! I feel a disproportionately strong bond with Malta given that I only spent a week there, and this only added to my desire to go back.

To sum up, I don't know if anyone else experiences this, but when I watch an exceptionally good film I sometimes get this weird queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach that tells me nothing else is going to match up for a while and I'm going to be moping around, waiting for it to come out on DVD. I would go and see it in the cinema again, but I already did that with the most recent Harry Potter (I'm not a crazed fan, I was just drunk the first time) and since a regular cinema ticket is now £7.85 (!!!) I don't think it's a very financially viable option. So, DVD soon please.

1 comment:

  1. agree he is so so so so so fucking fit with that prosthetic nose...ugh! in fact i wanted to fuck the majority of fit arab men in that film (i know he's not arab irl but still)

    ReplyDelete