Saturday, 23 March 2013

Nice weather for reading



I can't believe it's nearly the end of March and there's been ANOTHER heavy snowfall. I actually think this is the deepest snow I've seen since I was a child (see above, bottom left for the sight I was greeted by when I opened my front door this morning!) I basically can't go anywhere - the snow around my car is almost up to the top of the wheels and I live in a village with one shop! - so I've decided to have a weekend catching up on reading, writing reviews and watching TV. Handily, the Kindle Spring Sale has just started so I thought I'd post my recommendations for those who, like me, are stuck at home this weekend - or just fancy something new to read.

My top picks are...
Narcopolis by Jeet Thayil - 99p: One of my favourite books of last year, reviewed here
The Girl Below by Bianca Zander - 99p: A recent read which I really enjoyed, reviewed here. It has its flaws but it's brilliant in places and definitely more than worth 99p. Also, it's a recent release so the price is a huge bargain!
The Night Rainbow by Claire King - £1.39: I just finished this today, it's a really charming little story. This is another one that only came out last month, so again a fantastic price!
The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson - 99p: A great mixture of historical fiction, gothic mystery and fantasy, reviewed here

And here are some books I haven't read myself that look quite good:
The Proof of Love by Catherine Hall - 99p
Absolution by Patrick Flannery - 99p
The Little Friend by Donna Tartt - 99p
Drown by Junot Díaz - 99p
Painter of Silence by Georgina Harding - 99p
The Instructions by Adam Levin - £1.19
The Perks of Being a Wallflower by Stephen Chbosky - £1.99
A Perfectly Good Man by Patrick Gale - £2.49

PS: with the imminent demise of Google Reader on the cards (sob), make sure you're following me on Bloglovin' or add the RSS feed to the reader of your choice!

1 comment:

  1. Great timing- I've been searching for some reads lately! I read The Perks of being a Wallflower just after Christmas and thought it was pretty good so that might be worth a spin :)

    ReplyDelete