Thursday, 11 April 2013

Five things for spring

Because the likelihood of me writing a whole post about any one of these is roughly zero... Here's a bit about a few things I've been enjoying lately.


1. Death: A Picture Album
As someone who dreams of owning an antique memento mori ring, I obviously really wanted to see the Wellcome Collection's exhibition of items from the Richard Harris collection, Death: A Self-Portrait, earlier this year. Unfortunately, I never got the opportunity, since it was in London, and I am not. My consolation prize was to treat myself to the beautifully bound book that accompanied the exhibition, Death: A Picture Album. If you're that way inclined, the Richard Harris Art Collection website has a huge number of images of items and artworks from the collection.



2. Spring 2013 soundtrack
Retrograde by James Blake, Royals by Lorde, Your Drums by AlunaGeorge and Work by Iggy Azalea - all songs I am addicted to right now, for very different reasons. Also this year so far: Give Me by The Child of Lov, Can't Pretend by Tom Odell, I Knew You Were Trouble by Taylor Swift and Where Can I Go by Laura Marling (had the nicest experience waking up to this on the radio the other morning). Also need Lana Del Rey to do her own version of Bastille's cover of Blue Jeans asap.


3. Adventure Time: A Glitch is a Glitch
I'm still not over this episode - a sequence of images so surreal and trippy that I had to double- and triple-check I'd actually downloaded the real thing and not some bizarre fanmade video. I can't really believe they got away with making it, and I can't imagine what the actual children who watch this show will have made of it. It's almost the stuff creepypasta are made of. Further evidence that Adventure Time is the best show on TV/the internet.


4. In which I actually write something about films
So I've been meaning to write this film post for A YEAR and it never seems to happen; somehow I always find it really difficult to write anything interesting about films. But there's only TWO WEEKS to go until what will obviously be the best film of 2013, The Look of Love, is released. Not that I'm biased or anything, but the trailer alone makes me weak at the knees. In other film news, I saw Oz: The Great and Powerful a few weeks ago and was surprised by how much I enjoyed it, it was just a really good, old-fashioned fun movie. On my to-watch list at the moment: Stoker, Spring Breakers and Sightseers, among others (they don't all begin with S).


5. The best ice cream in the world
If it's possible to fall in love with an ice cream, then I'm head over heels for Ben & Jerry's Peanut Butter Me Up: half peanut butter ice cream, half vanilla ice cream with tiny chocolate peanut butter cups in it, and a core of raspberry jam sauce. I know some people think this sounds disgusting but honestly, it's one of the best things I've ever tasted. More peanut butter cups in ice cream, please.

1 comment:

  1. I am obsessed with Work, Iggy Azalea's music has grown on me so much. I'm getting really in to Aluna George too.

    I'm surprised by how trippy Adventure Time is in general. I love it and think it's brilliant, but I always wonder if children get it in the way I get it (not in a patronising way, just curious).

    ReplyDelete