Monday, 2 September 2013

Reading round-up: August

August 2013 books

A small post this month - various work-related things have meant I haven't had a lot of time to read (ugh, I hate it when 'work' and 'life' get in the way of reading...) and the books I have read have been a real mixture.

70. Bellman & Black by Diane Setterfield - 5/10. It's not out until October, so I was excited to get hold of an advance copy of this second novel from Setterfield, author of The Thirteenth Tale. Unfortunately, it was a little disappointing. It's a lacklustre ghost story with far too few ghosts, focusing on William Bellman, a businessman who makes a mysterious bargain with the shady character of 'Mr. Black'. While I liked the authentically historical tone, I found the story rather dull. Read my full review / Pre-order the ebook
71. Night Film by Marisha Pessl - 10/10. Probably my favourite book of 2013 so far (and unlikely to be beaten), this is another second novel, and this time it was a glorious improvement on its predecessor. Night Film is a fantastically enjoyable literary thriller, packed with colourful characters, hints of darkness, black magic and noirish mystery. Intelligent, fun, exciting, funny and full of twists: not just my highlight of the summer but one of the best books I've ever read. Buy it! Read my full review / Buy the ebook
72. The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt - 8/10. Another book set for an October release, which I was very lucky to have the opportunity to read early. And I must admit, I'm still struggling to write a good review. While it didn't live up to Tartt's The Secret History, which is my favourite book, it was a beautifully written, elegant and moving novel which captivated me in ways I didn't expect. The story is about Theo, thirteen years old when his beloved mother is killed in a bombing at an art gallery. The aftermath of this incident ultimately draws him into art fraud, but the book is more of a character study, following Theo through youth and adulthood, and examining his friendships and love affairs. The characterisation was brilliant, particularly Theo's sometime best friend Boris, and although I had a couple of issues with how the plot panned out, they were very minor things. Pre-order the ebook (or buy The Secret History if for some insane reason you haven't read it)
73. Lolito by Ben Brooks - 6/10. This book takes a shocking premise - a 15-year-old schoolboy has an affair with a middle-aged woman he meets on the internet - and turns it into something almost mundane. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, it's just that Brooks focuses the bulk of the narrative on the immaturity of his protagonist, Etgar. It ends up being more like a weirdly realistic, funny portrait of a modern teenager's life, in which boredom and childishness sit side by side with sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll - with everything punctuated by Facebook status updates - and the affair is almost an incidental detail. I found it disappointing that Brooks didn't explore some elements of the plot further, but I was captivated by Etgar's unique voice. Read my full review / Buy the ebook
74. Precious Thing by Colette McBeth - 5/10. A serviceable thriller about two women whose ostensibly close friendship hides a multitude of dark secrets. I know this is a bit pedantic, but it really annoyed me that it was full of stylistic flaws and mistakes, especially the punctuation. But apart from that, I had issues with the story as well, mainly the fact that it didn't deliver the brilliant twists I have come to expect from this genre. While it was readable enough, there are many better books of this type around. Read my full review / Buy the ebook

I don't think it needs to be said that Night Film was my favourite book of the month. I can't emphasise enough how much I enjoyed it - I've seen a few negative reviews since its publication, which I find amazing as I thought it was such a fantastic read. If you're interested in it, I implore you to read it yourself and make up your own mind, and I hope you love it as much as I did! I also really liked The Goldfinch, and thought Lolito was a really interesting, if flawed, story. It's a pity the other two weren't as good as I'd hoped, but maybe that was the universe trying to balance out the brilliance of Night Film.

I don't like abandoning books but it happened quite a few times this month. The first casualty was Ruth Ozeki's A Tale for the Time Being - on the Booker Prize longlist - which I got about halfway through before just losing interest in every aspect of the story. Secondly there was Michael Irwin's The Skull and the Nightingale, which I simply couldn't get into. Finally, Let the Games Begin by Niccolò Ammaniti, which I'm sorry to say contained a rape scene so hideous and offensive that I still can't quite believe how awful it was. Avoid.

I really hope I can find the time to read more in September! As usual, I have lots of books I want to read, including a few August and September releases. What are you looking forward to this month?

4 comments:

  1. I hadn't read Donna Tartt before (I know!) so I absolutely adored The Goldfinch. It took me over 2 weeks of constant reading because I wanted to take in every single word. I finished it back in June (and reviewed it on Goodreads, but I still miss Boris, Hobie and Theo and find myself thinking about them sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm really intrigued to read Lolito - really enjoyed this post, was nice to read your perspective on the books alongside fuller reviews :)

    Nell

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Noticias sobre cosas curiosas, humor, vídeos, goles, sms, sms de navidad, partidos online de futbol, frases inteligentes.
    Como Se Hace El Amor A Un Hombre

    ReplyDelete