Tuesday, 8 October 2013

Reading round-up: September


75. Five Star Billionaire by Tash Aw - 6/10. Read my full review / Buy the ebook
76. Black Chalk by Christopher J. Yates - 6/10. Read my full review / Buy the ebook
77. A Heart Bent Out of Shape by Emylia Hall - 6/10. Read my full review / Buy the ebook
78. All the Birds, Singing by Evie Wyld - 8/10. Read my full review / Buy the ebook
79. Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell - 7/10. Buy the ebook
80. Burial Rites by Hannah Kent - 7/10. Read my full review / Buy the ebook
81. Expo 58 by Jonathan Coe - 6/10. Read my full review / Buy the ebook

Not the best month, all in all, but there were some achievements: 1) I finished my Goodreads challenge for the year by reading my 75th book. 2) I read two books I'd been looking forward to since the beginning of the year, namely Burial Rites and Expo 58. 3) I finally read a YA novel I actually liked in the form of Fangirl.

The atmospheric All the Birds, Singing was definitely my favourite book of the month and, although I didn't think it was perfect, among my favourites of the year so far. Burial Rites was also good, but not what I'd hoped for when I first heard about it: I thought it might have more of an unreliable narrator emphasis. Five Star Billionaire was good but unremarkable; Expo 58 and Black Chalk were just okay, better in theory than reality; and A Heart Bent Out of Shape really wasn't my sort of thing - it was too saccharine and seemed more suited to a teenage audience.

PS: I haven't done away with the book summaries, I just haven't had time to write them for this lot. Hopefully, by the time I have to write another of these posts, I will!

2 comments:

  1. Looking forward to reading All the Birds, Singing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank's for your share i really like your post

    ReplyDelete