Sunday, 5 January 2014

Reading round-up: December

December 2013 books

92. The Night Guest by Fiona McFarlane - 8/10. Read my full review / Pre-order the ebook
93. The Language of Dying by Sarah Pinborough - 7/10. Read my full review / Buy the ebook
94. Cat Out of Hell by Lynne Truss - 10/10. Read my full review / Pre-order the ebook
95. The Virgins by Pamela Erens - 7/10. Read my full review / Pre-order the ebook
96. Gretel and the Dark by Eliza Granville - 8/10. Read my full review / Pre-order the ebook

So 2013 is over and I managed to read a total of 96 books. (Ten more than 2012, but four fewer than 2011!) You may remember that I planned to use the final month of 2013 to work through some of the advance copies I had hanging around, and I stuck to that, sort of. Three of these (Truss, Erens and Granville) are out in 2014; one (McFarlane) was published in the US last year but gets its UK release this month; and one (Pinborough) is a December 2013 re-issue of a book that was originally published independently in 2009. I still have quite a few future releases to read, and I would like to have read more in December, but it was just too busy - to be honest, I think five was quite an achievement in the circumstances!

Cat Out of Hell was definitely my favourite, followed closely by the mind-bending Gretel and the Dark (very difficult to sum up - I couldn't post my review here because there were too many spoilers!), then The Night Guest. The Language of Dying was very good, but I wasn't blown away by it. I had mixed feelings about The Virgins, a beautifully written book but one filled with characters I couldn't stand.

I want 2014 to be filled with more writing, which probably means less reading - but there'll be more about my hopes and aims for the coming year in another post. That said, I've still got an enormous to-read list and I'm determined to stick to my standard target of at least 75 books. A belated happy new year, and happy reading in 2014!

Twitter | Goodreads | Booklikes | Bloglovin' | Shop

0 comments:

Post a Comment