Tuesday, 4 November 2014

Reading round-up: October

October 2014 books

96. The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher by Hilary Mantel - 7/10. Read my full review / Buy the ebook
97. How to be both by Ali Smith - 8/10. Read my full review / Buy the ebook
98. The Spirit Cabinet by Paul Quarrington - 6/10. Read my full review / Buy the book
99. The Room by Jonas Karlsson - 9/10. Read my full review / Pre-order the ebook
100. Evil Eye: Four Novellas of Love Gone Wrong by Joyce Carol Oates - 6/10. Read my full review / Buy the ebook
101. The Girl on the Train by Paula Hawkins - 6/10. Read my full review / Pre-order the ebook
102. The Overcoat by Nikolai Gogol - 8/10. Read my full review / Read the story online
103. Random Violence by Jassy Mackenzie - 6/10. Read my full review / Buy the ebook
104. Ways of Going Home by Alejandro Zamba - 6/10. Buy the ebook

Nine books seems a lot, considering that this was the month I decided to try and change my reading habits and priorities. But I do feel different: I've been trying to go with my instincts more often, just reading what I feel like, as well as putting less pressure on myself to write reviews. I've also spent more time writing - and on Tumblr I've been compiling weekly lists of interesting links and writing a bit about some books I didn't finish reading.

I don't want this to be a rambling post, so I'll keep it as brief as possible. The Room is an amazing novella - look out for it in January next year. The Assassination of Margaret Thatcher and (especially) How to be both deserve the critical acclaim they've received. The other books I read in October were less notable; but at least two of them form part of projects I'm thinking about, so I'll probably discuss them in further detail at some point in the future.

I was planning to give ARCs a complete rest after The Room, but I was quite excited about Paula Hawkins' The Girl on the Train and couldn't resist reading it immediately upon getting hold of a copy. Unfortunately, I found it far more formulaic than I'd hoped. You can read my review of it on Goodreads, but some of the stuff I've discussed might be considered spoilery, so proceed with caution...

Twitter | Goodreads | Tumblr | Bloglovin' | Shop

1 comment:

  1. Nine books is certainly impressive for someone who was trying to slow down. I wonder what your tally would be otherwise

    ReplyDelete