Wednesday, 29 July 2015

The Booker Prize 2015: The longlist

The Man Booker Prize 2015 longlist

If you follow lots of book blogs and/or book-related Twitter accounts, I'm going to apologise in advance since this is probably the 8000th post you've seen about this... In a lunchtime announcement that seems to become the focus of more excitement every year, the longlist for the 2015 Man Booker Prize was revealed today.

The 13 books included in this year's 'Booker dozen' are:

A Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James
The Chimes by Anna Smaill
Did You Ever Have a Family by Bill Clegg
The Fishermen by Chigozie Obioma
The Green Road by Anne Enright
The Illuminations by Andrew O’Hagan
Lila by Marilynne Robinson
A Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara
The Moor's Account by Laila Lalami
Satin Island by Tom McCarthy
Sleeping on Jupiter by Anuradha Roy
A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler
The Year of the Runaways by Sunjeev Sahota

This list didn't particularly excite me when I first saw it (but a lot of that sort of response is, I know, about not seeing anything you've already read, and/or hoped would be nominated, on the list). But it's good to see such a diverse list of nominees - and there's three books here I'd never even heard of prior to the announcement.

I've been contemplating A Little Life for a while: its inclusion here has pushed me a bit further towards reading it sooner rather than later. The Chimes, The Illuminations and Satin Island have likewise been hovering around the edges of my to-read list - I'm still not decided on any of them, but there's bound to be lots of reviews popping up soon, which will hopefully help me make up my mind. I'll withhold judgement on the books and authors I'm less familiar with until I know a little more about them, but I think it's fair to say I'm not really interested in the novels by Robinson, Enright and Tyler.

I didn't want to put together my own longlist - it would, obviously, only have been full of books I've already read, and it's not as if I've read anywhere near widely enough to have a good awareness of what else might be eligible. But for what it's worth, I think Joshua Cohen's Book of Numbers would have been more than worthy of a nod, and my dream longlist would also have included The Ecliptic by Benjamin Wood, The Well by Catherine Chanter, and The Curator by Jacques Strauss.

What do you think of this year's Booker longlist, and will you be reading any of the books?

Twitter | Goodreads | Tumblr | Bloglovin’ | Shop

1 comment:

  1. I'd like to read them all, but will probably have to just pick a few because of time constraints and having too much to read already :D

    ReplyDelete